Riding Up a Hill and Making a U-Turn
Climbing hills is part of the fun of riding an ORV. (Note: Before attempting this exercise, review “Riding Uphill” and “Riding Downhill” so that you’ll know what to do if the ORV starts to stall or tip over.)
- Before starting the climb, shift into a lower gear and increase your speed.
- During the climb:
- Increase the throttle steadily to keep your forward momentum.
- Slide forward on the seat, or stand and lean forward.
- When you’re ready for the U-turn:
- Turn to the left, and lean to the uphill side of the turn.
- Continue turning in an arc until you’re headed down the hill.
- As you come out of the turn, slide back on the seat. It’s important to slide as smoothly as possible.
- Shift into a lower gear, and use the brakes to slow down.
- Repeat the exercise, making the U-turn in the opposite direction.