For steeper slopes, you may need to traverse the hill instead of riding straight up it. (Note: Before attempting this exercise, review “Traversing a Slope” and “Riding Downhill.”)
- Before starting the climb, shift into a lower gear and increase your speed.
- Approach the hill at a slight upward angle, closer to horizontal than straight up.
- While traversing the hill:
- Increase the throttle to keep a steady speed.
- Lean to the uphill side.
- On top of the hill, turn around, and traverse the hill downward.
- Repeat the exercise, traversing the hill in the opposite direction.