Details About the OHV Decal
What does the new law do?
- It specifies OHV decal, title, license plate, and registration requirements.
- It specifies equipment requirements, including DOT–approved helmets for youth.
- It specifies regulations for safe, ethical, and responsible operation.
What is the OHV decal?
- The OHV decal is a sticker that must be purchased by residents and non-residents annually to operate an OHV legally within Arizona. Non-residents who own multiple OHVs must purchase a decal for each machine they own.
- It is not “registration.” Registration is required if you want your OHV to be “street legal.”
- The resident OHV decal must be applied to the upper left corner of the license plate, and the license plate must be visibly displayed on the rear of the OHV.
- The non-resident OHV decal must be applied on the left rear-quarter panel of OHVs with three or more wheels, or on the left fork leg on two-wheeled vehicles. Follow the directions on the decal paperwork.
- Purchase of the OHV decal is a user fee and is required of all OHVs meeting the bulleted criteria in the following paragraph.
Which vehicles must have an OHV decal?
- Any motor vehicle operated on unimproved roads, trails, and approved use areas not suitable for conventional two-wheel-drive vehicular travel is an OHV and must have a decal if it:
- Is designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain and…
- Has an unladen weight of 1,800 pounds or less.
- Pickup trucks, SUVs, cars, and other recreational vehicles are not required to (and cannot) obtain an OHV decal.
How do I obtain the OHV decal?
- You must pay the required user fee.
- The resident OHV decal is available for purchase online at www.servicearizona.com, at a Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office, or from an authorized third-party service provider.
- The non-resident OHV decal can be purchased only online through the Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) portal account. It will not be sold in the AZGFD offices.
- The resident and non-resident OHV decals are valid for one year from the date of purchase. It is the OHV owner’s responsibility to purchase subsequent year decals.