- Check with local law enforcement officials to find out if ATVs are allowed on snowmobile trails.
- Perform winter maintenance on your ATV as directed in your owner’s manual.
- Make certain you have been trained in surviving the extremes of the environment in which you’ll be traveling. Never venture into an area without properly preparing for the unexpected.
- Check local weather forecasts and monitor weather changes.
- Dress warmly to offset the wind chill created by your motion.
- Before venturing onto a frozen lake, make sure the ice is thick enough to support your loaded ATV safely.
- Ride only on firm snow or groomed trails. Riding on soft snow can damage the terrain.
- Watch for snow drifts. They may cause an accident or cause you to get stuck.