Safe snowmobilers know that they are responsible for their snowmobile and for their behavior while operating it. They demonstrate responsibility by learning about their snowmobile and by improving their riding skills. In doing this, they begin to exhibit the seven traits of a safe snowmobiler, who:
- Understands the mechanics of the snowmobile.
- Respects both its capabilities and its limitations.
- Maneuvers skillfully through a variety of operating conditions.
- Knows and observes the laws governing snowmobiles.
- Uses good judgment.
- Respects others and the environment.
- Purchases a snowmobile that has a label of certification from the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee.