Nothing can protect you completely, but knowing what to wear can reduce the chance of injury, as well as make your ride more comfortable.
- Benefits of Proper Clothing
- The proper clothing protects you from scratches as well as extremes of the weather.
- A protective suit helps cushion you in falls or collisions.
- Clothing Selection
- Ideally, wear a snowmobile suit.
- Alternatively, use pants with kneepads, long-sleeved shirt or jacket with chest and shoulder protectors, and a riding belt for lower-back support.
The ideal winter outfit for riders is a snowmobile suit. In addition to keeping you warm, a snowmobile suit will keep you afloat if you fall into freezing water. Because it traps air, it acts like a flotation device. Some suits also have flotation material sewn into the lining, and others have special air pockets that you can inflate by blowing into a tube.
Clothing should fit snugly and still be comfortable. Clothing that’s too loose can snag on your sled, twigs, and branches. Have clothing professionally adjusted when you purchase them to ensure the safest fit.