You may not operate an ATV/UTV in any navigable water, or on the exposed bed of a navigable water (including exposed lake beds in front of your property), except to:
- Cross a stream by use of a bridge, culvert, ford, or similar structure and only if the crossing is in the most direct manner practical.
- Launch or load a boat, canoe, or other watercraft in the most direct manner practical.
- Access the frozen surfaces of any navigable waters provided the crossing or access is in the most direct manner practical.
- Operate the ATV/UTV on the frozen surface of navigable water. (Public Use registration is required.)
ATVs/UTVs and Hunting
ATVs/UTVs can be extremely helpful while transporting hunters, hunting gear, and big game.
- In general, off-trail/off-road operation is not allowed while hunting on public lands, even to retrieve downed game. Check with county, state, or federal officials for any exceptions.
- For other restrictions, refer to the Wisconsin Off-Highway Vehicle Regulations pamphlet.