If you can’t continue and have to wait for rescue, prepare help signals as soon as possible./p>
- The international emergency sign for distress is three of any signal:
- Three fires evenly spaced
- Three blasts on a whistle
- Three flashes with a mirror
- If you’re near an open space, walk a large X in the grass, sand, or snow. Make each segment of the X at least 18 feet long and three feet wide so that it can be seen easily from the air. Placing branches, logs, or rocks along the X will make it more visible.