Operating Permit Requirements
Oregon residents who operate any off-road vehicle on public lands must have an ATV Operating Permit displayed on the vehicle.
There are permits for the four classes of ATVs.
- Permits are valid for two years.
- They may be purchased from the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department by calling 1-800-551-6949, or you may purchase one from a permit agent.
Permits are $10, and many permit agents charge an additional $0.50. For more information about the operating permits for different ATVs, visit the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department website.
If you have a valid ATV Operating Permit from another state, Oregon will honor it if that state honors Oregon ATV Operating Permits. This is known as “reciprocity.” For a list of states that have reciprocity with Oregon, visit the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department website.
Non-residents must adhere to Oregon’s equipment and operating requirements.
You are not required to have an ATV Operating Permit for an ATV or off-road motorcycle if the off-road vehicle is used exclusively:
- For farming or agriculture or…
- For forestry, tree nurseries, or growing Christmas trees or…
- On lands owned or leased by the owner of the off-road vehicle.