Skip to main content
Skip audio player
- Before dark, begin looking for a dry, well-drained site protected from the wind.
- Look for a natural shelter, such as a rock overhang or thicket of evergreens.
- Ideally, the site should be near fresh water and firewood, in case a fire is necessary.
- If no natural site is available, build a lean-to.
- Lean branches against a horizontal support to form a frame for a roof.
- Orient the opening of the lean-to away from the wind.
- Cover the frame with evergreen branches or a tarp to block out the weather.
- Add side walls, if necessary.
- Unit 6 of 8
- Topic 3 of 4
- Page 3 of 6