Skip to main content

Course Outline

  • If you operate or transport an OHV on public lands, roads, or trails, it must be registered as a recreational vehicle.
  • To register an OHV, visit any Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (UDMV) office where you will complete a registration application and pay the required registration fee. When you go, take the following documentation with you:
    • Proof of ownership, such as a title or bill of sale, and…
    • The tax certificate from the county assessor of the county where the OHV is taxed and…
    • The current registration card (for renewals).
  • OHV registration is valid for one year and expires on the last day of the month when the OHV was registered.
  • After receiving the appropriate documents and registration fee, the UDMV will issue two registration stickers and a registration card containing the vehicle number.
  • The registration card must be carried on the vehicle and made available for inspection by law enforcement officers.
  • Registration stickers must be visibly displayed on the vehicle in the following manner.
    • Type I and Type II ATVs: Affix the stickers to the front and rear of the vehicle.
    • Motorcycles: Affix the stickers to both sides of the fork.
  • If an OHV is used only on a farm or ranch or for other agricultural purposes, it may be registered at a UDMV office as an implement of husbandry.
    • The one-time registration fee is $10.00.
    • The UDMV will issue an off-highway implement of husbandry sticker. The sticker must be affixed in a visible location on the left side of the vehicle.
    • If you also operate the OHV on public property for recreational purposes, the OHV must be registered as a recreational vehicle.
  • Dual-sport OHMs may be registered as recreational OHVs or as street-legal vehicles. To be street-legal, the motorcycle must have the required safety equipment, pass a state safety inspection, and carry proper insurance.
  • If your OHV is currently registered and you wish to renew, you may do so online.
  • OHV operators who are not residents of Utah must purchase a non-resident permit for each OHV they bring into Utah. For instructions and a list of vendors selling these permits, visit the Utah State Parks website or call 801-538-7220.
Utah off-highway vehicle registration
  • Unit 8 of 8
  • Topic 1 of 2
  • Page 2 of 3