Skip to main content

Course Outline

Most federal and state agencies provide travel maps that indicate where OHV use is allowed. Before riding your OHV, always contact the local land managing authority for current trail maps and riding information. A list of various land managing agencies can be found at the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) website.

  • Currently registered OHVs may be operated only on public lands, roads, or trails that are signed or designated for OHV use. Exceptions exist if you are:
    • Crossing a public road at a right angle after coming to a complete stop and yielding to oncoming traffic or…
    • Loading or unloading the OHV from a trailer or vehicle or…
    • Experiencing an emergency.
  • OHVs may be operated on private property with the consent of the owner or person in charge. Always obtain permission before entering any private property.
  • The U.S. Forest Service, the BLM, and other federal and state land managing agencies determine where OHV use is permitted on their lands. The operator is responsible for knowing which routes are open to OHVs.
  • Designated wilderness areas are off-limits to all mechanized travel.

Organized OHV Events

To hold an organized OHV race or other event, you must obtain a permit from the agency or landowner with jurisdiction over the land or road where the event is to be held.

Obtaining Riding Maps

A free CD showing statewide riding maps is available from:

  • Unit 8 of 8
  • Topic 2 of 2
  • Page 4 of 6