Indiana law prohibits operation of an ORV in a manner that disregards the rights, safety, or property of others. Specifically, you must obey the following laws.
Operate Soberly means you may not operate an ORV while under the influence of alcohol, a narcotic, or any other drug.
Maintain Proper Speed and Distance means you may not operate an ORV:
- At a rate of speed greater than is reasonable or in a manner that endangers a person or property
- At a speed exceeding 5 miles per hour on ice covering public waters when within 100 feet of a person on foot or within 100 feet of a fishing shanty
- Within 100 feet of a dwelling between midnight and 6:00 a.m. except on your own property or as a guest on another person’s property
- Within 100 feet of a slide, ski, or skating area
Equip Properly means you may not operate an ORV:
- Without a lighted headlight and taillight when operating between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise
- Without a muffler in good working condition
Operate Only in Allowed Areas means you may operate only in areas open to ORV use. You may not operate an ORV:
- In a forest nursery, planting area, or public land where growing plants or animals may be damaged
- On any property without the consent of the landowner or tenant
- On a railroad track or its right-of-way
- In or on a flowing river, stream, or creek except for the purpose of crossing by the shortest possible route
- On or across a cemetery or burial ground
Carry Hunting Equipment Safely means you may not operate an ORV:
- When carrying a bow with an arrow nocked
- While transporting a firearm on or in the ORV unless:
- The firearm is unloaded and securely encased or equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger-housing mechanism or...
- The firearm is a lawfully carried and possessed handgun in accordance with IC 35-47-2-1 or...
- The person carrying the firearm is operating the ORV on property that the person owns, has contractual interest in, otherwise legally possesses, or has permission from the person who has any of the above.