Riding Within Your Personal Limits
- Know your personal limits and your abilities, and work within them.
- Know what you can do—as well as what you can’t do.
- Don’t try to keep up with your friends. If they are more experienced, you easily can get into situations that are beyond your abilities.
- Even when you’re experienced, remember that you still don’t know everything. Be prepared for unexpected situations.
- But, if you always stay within your personal limits, how can you develop new skills and abilities?
- Challenge your limits once in a while. It’s normal to want to try new things. However, do so in practice situations, not out on the trail.
- Have an experienced rider supervise your practice session and help you if needed.
- Practice one new skill at a time, and start slowly. Trying to learn too many new things at once can be frustrating and dangerous.