- Tell someone where you’re going and when you plan to return.
- Don’t travel alone.
- Take enough food and water to last for at least two days in an emergency.
- Bring a map and compass, and always orient yourself before leaving.
- Wear layered clothing.
- Don’t panic if you become lost. Stay calm and wait for help.
Water is essential to your survival.
- Everyone needs two to four quarts of water daily.
- You can last only a few days without water.
- Clear water does not mean pure water. Mountain streams are often contaminated by parasites.
- The best way to purify water is by boiling it for five minutes.
- If boiling is impossible, use a chemical purifier or filter.
- Try to avoid complicating survival problems. Never drink unsafe water.
If you plan to visit a remote area, you must prepare for the possibility that your party may be stranded and must await rescue. If you are, you can take three steps to help you survive.
- Prepare a shelter.
- Build a fire, if necessary.
- Signal for help.