Developing Safe Riding Habits
Develop safe riding habits by using the same procedures and safety measures when practicing that you will use when you begin serious off-road riding.
- Wear proper clothing and safety equipment.
- Perform a pre-ride inspection.
- Maintain a safe speed at all times.
- Don’t mix alcohol or drugs and riding.
- Bring someone along in case something goes wrong.
Before you begin:
- Perform a pre-ride inspection: Using your owner’s manual, find and check all of the items listed in the START-GO checklist.
- Practice correct riding posture: With the engine off, mount the ATV. Keep your eyes on the trail ahead. Using proper posture, locate and operate the controls.
- Practice shift pattern: Using your owner’s manual, learn the proper shift pattern for your ATV and practice with the engine off.