Off-highway motorcycles are categorized by a number of off-road sports, the most notable being the following.
- Motocross: These motorcycles are designed for racing over jumps and are not legal for the street.
- Enduro: These long-distance competition motorcycles meet minimum standards to be “street legal,” as well as Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards.
- Dual-purpose: Designed for paved-road and off-road use, these motorcycles are fully street legal.
- Lights and turn signals are approved for highway use.
- Tires are approved by the Department of Transportation (DOT).
- Spark arrestors are approved by the U.S. Forest Service (USFS).
- Noise- and emission-control devices conform to EPA standards.