Positioning Your Body for Safety
On a motorcycle, your body is, effectively, an extension of the machine.
- Each component of body position affects your ability to steer, turn, control the throttle, maintain balance, and spot obstacles quickly.
- To master control of your motorcycle, always use correct body position.
- Whether sitting or standing, maintain this position.
- Stay forward with your weight directly over the footpegs.
- Keep your feet on the footpegs with your knees slightly bent.
- Press your knees lightly into the gas tank.
- Hold the handlegrips firmly to control the motorcycle in tough terrain. Grip with the right wrist down to avoid accidentally giving too much throttle.
- If your position is correct, your arms should have to bend slightly to hold the handlegrips.