Skip to main content

Course Outline

Public roads include all city streets, county roads, and U.S. Forest Service system roads. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) roads are not classified as public roads. When operating on BLM roads, OHVs do not have to be street legal and the operator is not required to have a license.

Public Road Operation for Montana Residents: To operate on public roads in Montana, your OHV must be registered, be street legal, be licensed as a motor vehicle, and have a valid license plate.

Public Road Operation for Non-Residents: To operate on public roads in Montana, the OHV must be licensed in the owner’s home state.

  • Licensed vehicles may operate on Montana roads for up to 30 consecutive days.
  • Vehicles that are not licensed may not operate on public roads.
  • Unit 8 of 8
  • Topic 2 of 5
  • Page 3 of 4