ATVs are designed exclusively for off-road use. They can be difficult to handle on paved surfaces. Riding on or crossing a road illegally or improperly is a leading cause of ATV rider fatalities. If you must cross a road, consider the legal operation of an ATV and follow this safe procedure:
- Pick a crossing point where you have good visibility in both directions.
- Bring your vehicle to a complete stop on the shoulder of the road.
- Look both ways, and yield to oncoming traffic.
- Drive forward slowly because your ATV may be difficult to maneuver on pavement.
- Drive straight across the road.
- When crossing in a group, have one rider dismount and act as a crossing guard until everyone else has passed safely.
- Stand up to give yourself maximum visibility.
- Remember that approaching automobile drivers are not expecting, or looking for, ATV riders.