Skip to main content

Wisconsin ATV/OHM Laws and Regulations

Passing this ATV/OHM license course will complete your online safety education for Wisconsin.

Wisconsin safety education card Lifetime Card

Do you need Wisconsin ATV/OHM education?


To operate an ATV or OHM on Wisconsin public riding areas, you must be at least 12 years old and possess valid proof of course completion.

Planning to operate an ATV? You need safety education if you were born on or after Jan. 1, 1988.

Planning to operate an OHM? You need safety education if you were born after Jan. 1, 1998.

Note: If you have already completed a Wisconsin ATV safety course but want to ride an off-highway motorcycle (OHM) on public trails, you must first complete the free OHM Short Course. You may take the OHM Short Course only if you already have ATV safety certification.

If you are not currently certified to operate an ATV, you will need to take the FULL Wisconsin ATV/OHM Online Course. Click the Get Certified button above to get started.

There is no minimum age requirement to take this online course. However, your certificate will not be valid until you turn 12 years old.

You do not have to be a resident of Wisconsin to take this online course.


ATV/OHM education is currently required in several U.S. states and Canadian provinces.

Is the ATV/OHM Card the same as the ATV/OHM License?

The Offroad Safety Certificate is proof that you have successfully completed all of the components of an approved ATV/OHM safety course and allows you to go off-roading. Because the ATV/OHM education card or certificate does not expire and does not need to be renewed, it is not called the Wisconsin ATV/OHM License.

Why ATV/OHM Safety Education Is Important

These vehicles have been increasing in popularity during the past decade. As trails and recreation areas become more crowded, it’s especially important for people to operate these vehicles safely and responsibly.


Most states and provinces that have mandatory education requirements will accept the Offroad Safety Certificate. (This is known as “reciprocity.”) If you plan to operate in another state or province, make sure you check their reciprocity laws before doing so.

We’re people, not robots.

Your Offroad Ed course comes with a dedicated customer service team made up of real people, not robots. We’re here to provide assistance to you through all channels—phone, email, and chat.

We’re available to help you:

Mon-Fri 8am to 8pm CST
Sat-Sun 8am to 5pm CST
1-800-830-2268 (toll free)

Members of the Kalkomey Support Team