- Before you head out in winter, change your transmission fluid to a lighter weight. If your ATV is water cooled, you'll need to check the antifreeze level. Consult your owner's manual for other cold-weather requirements.
- Ride only on firm snow or groomed trails. Riding on soft snow can damage the terrain.
- Check with local enforcement officials to find out if ATVs are allowed on snowmobile trails.
- Check local weather forecasts, and monitor weather changes.
- Dress warmly to offset the wind chill created by your motion.
- Watch for snow drifts. They may cause an accident or cause you to get stuck.