Signaling for Help
If you can't continue and have to wait for rescue, prepare help signals as soon as possible.
- The international emergency sign for distress is three of any signal:
- Three fires, evenly spaced
- Three blasts on a whistle
- Three flashes with a mirror
- If you're near an open space, walk an "X" in the grass, sand, or snow. Make each segment of the "X" at least 18 feet long and three feet wide so that it can be seen easily from the air. Placing branches, logs, or rocks along the "X" will make it more visible.