Rules of Survival
- Tell someone where you’re going and when you plan to return.
- Don’t travel alone.
- Take enough food and water to last for at least two days in an emergency.
- Bring a map and compass, and always orient yourself before leaving.
- Wear layered clothing.
- Don’t panic if you become lost.
If you plan to visit a remote area, you must prepare for the possibility that your party may be stranded and must await rescue. If you are, you can take three steps to help you survive.
- Prepare a shelter.
- Build a fire, if necessary.
- Signal for help.
If You're Lost in a Thick Fog
Don't waste valuable time and energy traveling around aimlessly. Instead, stay calm and go into survival mode, especially after dark. Build a shelter and a fire.