Performing Pre-Season Maintenance (First Inspection of the Season)
If your ATV has been in storage or you haven't ridden it in a while, check the following items well in advance of your first ride of the new season. Don't wait until you're ready to ride to discover you need to see a mechanic or buy a replacement part. Consult your owner's manual for more information about your model.
- Reinstall the battery if you removed it for storage, and charge it fully. Be sure the battery holds a charge.
- If you did not change the oil and oil filter before storing the ATV, do so now.
- Check the spark plugs, and replace them if necessary.
- Fill the fuel tank with fresh gasoline, and make sure the engine starts.
- Check all the lights, and replace any burned-out bulbs.
- Check the tires for damage and inflate them. Tires may wear or flatten if left on the ground for long periods of time.
- Check for damage caused by rodents, such as blocked pipes or chewed wires and cables.
- Check for any other damage that may occur during storage. For example, parts made of rubber or plastic may deteriorate over time.
- Consider performing a pre-ride inspection.