Climbing and Traversing Hills
Climbing and traversing hills is part of the fun of riding an ATV. This exercise will help you build skills to ride up hills and to turn around using the techniques for making a U-turn safely. (Note: Before you attempt this exercise, review the techniques for "Riding Uphill" and "Traversing a Slope" so that you'll know what to do if you stall going up or start to tip over as you traverse the hill.)
- Start by accelerating at the base of the hill.
- If necessary, shift into a lower gear to maintain momentum.
- Turn your ATV to the left, making an arc over the face of the hill.
- Continue to turn until you're headed back down the hill.
- Shift into a lower gear, and apply your brakes to slow down.
- Repeat; however, this time turn in the opposite direction.