CHEC FIRST: Pre-Ride Inspection
An easy way to remember the items to inspect before each ride is “CHEC FIRST.”
- Check for damage and tightness.
- Add lubrication as needed.
- Move left and right to check ease of steering.
- Check all controls on handlebars.
- Make sure throttle, clutch, and brake move easily and snap back.
- Turn light switch on and check headlight, taillight, and brake light.
- Make sure cables are not damaged or kinked.
- Spark arrestor must be U.S. Forest Service-approved.
- Muffler should not be damaged, rusty, or leaking.
- Adding loud aftermarket exhaust system is illegal.
- Check for loose or worn parts.
- Check shifter for smoothness.
- Check for leaks or noise.
- Make sure all are full—gas, oil, coolant, and brake fluid.
- Check fuel lines for leaks and air filter for debris.
Ignition and Engine Stop Switch
- Check ignition switch and test engine stop switch.
- Make sure battery is properly charged and not damaged.
- Check registration decal or trail pass for expiration and easy visibility.
- Carry registration paperwork or registration certificate and ATV Safety Certificate as required.
Spare Parts/Tool Kit
- Carry spare parts such as spark plugs, tire repair kit, duct tape, etc.
- Check tool kit and owner's manual.
Tires and Wheels
- Check for proper air pressure.
- Inspect tires for wear and damage.
- Check lug nuts and wheel bearings.