About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Utah Offroad Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Utah OHV Safety Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

  • If you operate or transport an OHV on public lands, roads, or trails, it must be registered as a recreational vehicle.
  • To register an OHV, visit any Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (UDMV) office where you will complete a registration application and pay the required registration fee. When you go, take the following documentation with you:
    • Proof of ownership, such as a title or bill of sale, and…
    • The tax certificate from the county assessor of the county where the OHV is taxed and…
    • The current registration card (for renewals).
  • OHV registration is valid for one year and expires on the last day of the month when the OHV was registered.
  • After receiving the appropriate documents and registration fee, the UDMV will issue two registration stickers and a registration card containing the vehicle number.
  • The registration card must be carried on the vehicle and made available for inspection by law enforcement officers.
  • Registration stickers must be visibly displayed on the vehicle in the following manner.
    • Type I and Type II ATVs: Affix the stickers to the front and rear of the vehicle.
    • Motorcycles: Affix the stickers to both sides of the fork.
Utah OHV registration sticker
  • If an OHV is used only on a farm or ranch or for other agricultural purposes, it may be registered at a UDMV office as an implement of husbandry.
    • The one-time registration fee is $10.00.
    • The UDMV will issue an off-highway implement of husbandry sticker. The sticker must be affixed in a visible location on the left side of the vehicle.
    • If you also operate the OHV on public property for recreational purposes, the OHV must be registered as a recreational vehicle.
  • Dual-sport off-highway motorcycles may be registered as recreational OHVs or as street-legal vehicles. To be street legal, the motorcycle must have the required safety equipment, pass a state safety inspection, and carry proper insurance.
  • If your OHV is currently registered and you wish to renew, you may do so online.
  • OHV operators who are not residents of Utah must purchase a non-resident permit for each OHV they bring into Utah. For instructions and a list of vendors selling these permits, visit the Utah State Parks website at http://stateparks.utah.gov/resources/off-highway-vehicles/ohv-registration-and-permits/ or call 801-538-7220.