About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Oregon ATV Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your ATV Safety Education Card.

Learn More Register for the Course

In Oregon, you are not required to have a title, registration, or insurance for ATVs, ORMs, or side-by-sides.

The state recommends titling your vehicle because a title provides proof of ownership in case your vehicle is lost or stolen. If your off-road vehicle is financed or insured, a title may be required. To obtain a title for your unregistered ATV or off-road motorcycle, visit the Oregon DMV website.

Although insurance is not required, it protects you, your vehicle, and other people in the event of an accident.

Street-Legal ORMs

You must have a title, registration, and liability insurance for any off-road motorcycle that is “street legal” and being operated on public roads, rather than off-road. In addition, street-legal motorcycles must have:

  • A valid license plate with a white license plate light
  • A red reflector on the rear of the vehicle
  • A white headlight that is on at all times
  • A red taillight and a brake light
  • A muffler with a spark arrestor
  • Fenders on both wheels
  • An operable brake
  • A rearview mirror
  • Turn signals
  • A horn

In addition, a street-legal motorcycle operator must wear a DOT-approved helmet and carry a valid driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement or a valid motorcycle instruction permit when operating a motorcycle.