About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the New Mexico OHV Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your OHV Safety Education Permit.

Learn More Register for the Course

If you operate an OHV on public lands, roads, or trails, it must be registered as an off-highway motor vehicle.

  • To register an OHV, visit any New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) Field Office where you will complete a registration application and pay the required registration fee.
  • OHV registration is valid for two years and expires on the last day of the month when the OHV was registered.
New Mexico Residents Non-Residents
Requirement Registration Permit (either 2-year or 90-day)
Mandatory for residents unless OHV is used strictly for agricultural purposes or on private land. Non-residents who have proof of a valid OHV registration, user fee or similar fee may not need to purchase a New Mexico permit. Check the website for a listing of those states that do not have a registration program or user fee.
Renewals Registration must be renewed every two years from the date of initial registration. A two-year permit must be renewed every two years from the date of initial registration.
Contact New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) New Mexico Department of Game and Fish
www.mvd.newmexico.gov www.wildlife.state.nm.us/ohv/registration-permits/
505-827-4636 or 888-683-4636 505-476-8000