Practicing Your Riding Skills
- You can improve your skills by practicing at a slow speed in a large, flat, snow-covered field with no obstructions. An experienced adult should be with you as you practice the following skills.
- Start and stop at various speeds, and try a few quick stops.
- Use hand signals as you turn in different directions.
- Try all four riding positions.
- Complete an oval and a figure eight. Also make tight, low-speed turns.
- Slalom through traffic cones.
- After you master the basics, go to a hilly area and practice riding uphill and downhill, as well as traversing the hill.
- Watch experienced riders and learn from them.