About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the Montana Offroad Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your OHV Safety Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

Public roads include all city streets, county roads, and U.S. Forest Service system roads. BLM roads are not classified as public roads. When operating on BLM roads, OHVs do not have to be street legal and the operator is not required to have a license.

Stay on designated roads and trails

Public Road Operation for Montana Residents: To operate on public roads in Montana, your OHV must be registered, be street legal, be licensed as a motor vehicle, and have a valid license plate.

Public Road Operation for Nonresidents: To operate on public roads in Montana, the OHV must be licensed in the owner's home state.

  • Licensed vehicles may operate on Montana roads for up to 30 consecutive days.
  • Vehicles that are not licensed may NOT operate on public roads.