About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the Montana Offroad Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your OHV Safety Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

Registration for Nonresidents

If you are a nonresident and your OHV is properly registered in your own state, then you may operate in Montana for up to 30 consecutive days. If your OHV is not registered in another state or country, you must purchase a "Nonresident Temporary Off-Highway Vehicle Use" permit before operating the OHV in Montana.

  • The permit is available from Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks (MFWP) offices and some County Treasurer's offices.
  • If a permit is required, it must be displayed in a conspicuous location on the OHV. Anyone who does not display the permit is guilty of a misdemeanor and may be fined.
  • The permit expires on December 31 of the current year.
  • OHVs with this permit may be operated on trails only.
Montana non-resident permit