About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the Montana Offroad Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your OHV Safety Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

To operate on designated motorized trails in Montana, your OHV must be registered.

  • To register an OHV in Montana, go to your local County Treasurer's office and pay the required registration fees. The County Treasurer then will issue a registration decal.
    • The registration decal must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle.
    • Anyone who does not display the decal is guilty of a misdemeanor and may be fined.
    • If a decal is lost or becomes illegible, the vehicle's owner must apply for a duplicate immediately and pay a fee.
  • Your OHV registration remains valid as long as you own the OHV.
  • An OHV that is used only on private property is exempt from the registration requirements.
Montana registration decal on an ATV