Prepare for the trip and any problems you can anticipate.
- Decide how to deal with such problems. Consider terrain, location, weather, and other factors that could affect your trip.
Locate the area where you'll be riding.
- Use a map to familiarize yourself with the area. If the area is remote, also purchase a topographic map and familiarize yourself with the terrain.
- If you own a GPS, take it along. If you don't have one, consider buying one.
Assess your physical condition, your equipment, and safety rules.
- Analyze all of the logistics related to the trip.
- Based on this information, decide whether the timing of the trip is good.
Notify someone about where and with whom you're riding and your expected return time.
- Leave a specific plan with a family member or friend.