About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the Montana Offroad Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your OHV Safety Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

Before an OHV may be operated in Montana, the vehicle and its riders must have the required equipment.

  • Helmet: All motorcycle operators under 18 years of age must wear a U.S. Department of Transportation-approved helmet. Helmets are recommended for all riders.
  • Spark Arrestor: All off-highway motorcycles and ATVs must have a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor to operate on public lands.
  • Muffler: All off-highway motorcycles and ATVs operated on public lands must not produce engine noise in excess of 96dba. Never modify the exhaust system to create more noise.

Is Your OHV Street Legal?

All OHVs: To be street legal, an OHV must have a valid license plate, a mirror, a headlight, a tail light, a brake light, at least one operable brake, a horn, and a muffler with a spark arrestor.

Motorcycles: To be street legal, a motorcycle must have all of the items listed above. In addition, a motorcycle operator must have a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement.

Remember—Adding an after-market seat rest to an ATV does not legally increase the vehicle's seating capacity.