Using a Recovery Strap to Pull Out an ORV: Basic Steps
After the vehicles are properly connected:
- Make sure everyone observes the safe stand clear distance.
- Do not back up the towing vehicle more than one vehicle length.
- Apply only light tugs. A light tug will stretch the strap but will not cause the strap to reach its maximum capacity. Several tugs may be necessary to pull the vehicle loose.
- Even if the stuck vehicle only moves slightly, continue applying light tugs.
- Repeat the tugs until the ORV is no longer stuck or no longer moves.
- Take additional steps if the stuck vehicle does not move when you apply light tugs.
- Use a shovel to dig out around the front and sides of the vehicle’s tires.
- Switch to a winch.
- Pull from the other end of the vehicle, if possible.
- Do NOT increase the amount of power you are using. This can result in damage, injury, or death if the strap breaks.