ORV Operation on State-Owned Lands
ORV operation is prohibited on state-owned lands, except on roads, trails, or areas designated for this purpose.
- State Forest Lands: ORV restrictions vary by location.
- Upper Peninsula: ORV operation is permitted on designated trails and forest roads in the Upper Peninsula unless posted as closed.
- Lower Peninsula: ORV operation is permitted on all designated trails, designated areas, and designated routes in the Lower Peninsula. ORVs are prohibited on forest roads.
- Statewide: ORV use on designated trails is limited to vehicles with an overall width of 50 inches or less. Off-trail or off-route operation outside of a designated area is prohibited except for licensed hunters operating an ORV at speeds of 5 mph or less for the purpose of removing deer, bear, or elk. ORV operation on designated routes is open to all ORVs.
- State Game Areas: No motorized vehicle operation is allowed except on established roads open to the public. ORVs are prohibited.
- State Parks and State Recreation Areas: ORV operation is prohibited except in designated areas of Silver Lake State Park.
Cross-Country ORV Operation
Cross-country ORV operation on state-owned lands is permitted only on:
- Designated areas at Silver Lake State Park in Oceana County
- St. Helen Motorsport Area in Roscommon County
- Black Mountain Scramble Area in Cheboygan County (operation of a motorized vehicle that is greater than 50 inches in width is prohibited within the boundaries of the Scramble Area)
- Designated trails and routes