ORV Certificate of Title
- ORV owners are required to obtain a certificate of title from the Michigan Secretary of State (SOS).
- A Michigan title is not required on ORVs owned by nonresidents and used in Michigan.
- Every ORV sold through a dealer must be accompanied by a certificate of origin. This certificate of origin contains all of the information needed for applying for a certificate of title.
- It is unlawful for a seller to sell or transfer an ORV without transferring the title or for a buyer to purchase or acquire an ORV without obtaining a title.
- If an ORV is purchased through a dealer, application for a title will be made by the dealer on behalf of the buyer.
- If an ORV is purchased from someone other than a dealer, the buyer applies for a title.
- Application for a title must be made within 15 days of purchase or transfer.
- If an ORV certificate of title is lost, mutilated, or becomes illegible, the title holder applies to the Secretary of State for a duplicate title.