Before an OHV may be operated in Massachusetts, the vehicle must have the required equipment.
- Brakes: An OHV must be equipped with an adequate braking system.
- Lights: An OHV must be equipped with at least one headlight, a red taillight, and a red rear reflector.
- Lights must be displayed between sunset and sunrise.
- Lights must be displayed when visibility is less than 300 feet due to snow, fog, or other unfavorable conditions.
- Trailers: If a trailer is attached to an OHV, the trailer must have a red rear reflector.
- Spark Arrestor: An ATV, recreation utility vehicle, or dirt bike must be equipped with an adequate spark arrestor.