The Handbook of Indiana Off-Road Vehicle Laws and Safe Operating Procedures for ATVs and Snowmobiles
The Official Off-roading Handbook of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources - Web Version
Table of Contents
Before you start, check the fuel and oil levels, brakes and lights, emergency stop switch, and track.
When you start your snowmobile:
- Point the machine in a safe direction.
- Position yourself to control the machine when it starts.
- Check the throttle to make sure it's not frozen—it should snap back to the idle position when released.
- Set the key and the engine stop switch to the "on" position.
- If your machine is cold, choke or prime it.
- If you have an electric starter, turn the key and release the choke as soon as the engine starts.
- If your machine has a reverse gear, be sure the snowmobile is in a forward gear when you start off.