The Handbook of Indiana Off-Road Vehicle Laws and Safe Operating Procedures for ATVs and Snowmobiles
The Official Off-roading Handbook of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources - Web Version
Table of Contents
Know Your Snowmobile
A snowmobile is a recreational vehicle designed to travel over ice or snow. It has sled-type runners or skis on the front end and a tractor-like belt tread in the rear.
Snowmobiling can be a fun and safe sport; however, it can be hazardous if you're reckless, inattentive, or uneducated about the snowmobile you're driving.
A safe snowmobiler:
- Understands the mechanics of the machine.
- Has respect for its capabilities and its limitations.
- Knows how to maneuver through a variety of operating conditions.
- Knows the laws governing snowmobiles.
- Uses good judgment.
- Respects others and the environment.
A safe snowmobiler also seeks out equipment with the Label of Certification from the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee.