Securing the ATV and Driving With a Trailer
Securing the ATV
- Balance your trailer by centering the ATV slightly behind the axle.
- Set the parking brake on the ATV.
- Use tie-down straps. Ropes may stretch during transport.
- Use four straps whenever possible, front and back on both sides. Never use fewer than three straps.
- Cinch the straps as tightly as possible in order to ensure that the shocks are somewhat compressed. Shake the ATV, and make sure it’s securely anchored. The tires should look like they’re carrying weight.
- When using a pickup, close the tailgate if possible.
Driving With a Trailer
- Drive at moderate speeds, and avoid sudden maneuvers.
- Allow for the added length and weight of the trailer.
- Make wider turns at corners and curves.
- Allow extra time and distance for stopping and for passing other vehicles.
- On long trips, pull over every hour to check the towing equipment.