Developing Safe Riding Habits
Develop safe riding habits by using the same procedures and safety measures when practicing that you will use when you begin serious off-road riding.
- Wear proper clothing and safety equipment.
- Perform a pre-ride inspection.
- Maintain a safe speed at all times.
- Don't mix alcohol or drugs and riding.
- Bring someone along in case something goes wrong.
Before you begin:
Perform a Pre-Ride Inspection
Using your owner's manual, find and check all of the items listed in the START-GO checklist.
Practice Correct Riding Posture
With the engine off, mount the ATV. Keep your eyes on the trail ahead. Using proper posture, locate and operate the controls.
Practice Shift Pattern
Using your owner's manual, learn the proper shift pattern for your ATV and practice with the engine off.